Monday, January 7, 2013

Languages

So, this conversation happened at work yesterday as I was restocking things:

Customer: Gracias!
Me: De nada.
Customer: Bien hecho!
Me: Danke.

For anyone who speaks only English, the conversation went like this.

Customer: Thanks! (Spanish)
Me: You're welcome. (Spanish)
Customer: Well done! (Spanish)
Me: Thanks. (German)

Sooo... I've got some brushing up I need to do. I learned a LOT of Spanish growing up, but seldom spoke it; on my study abroad I learned only a little German, but spoke that little bit all the time. Now, I hardly speak any language besides English, so I'm getting pretty rusty.

The most realistic way for me to improve my language skills will be to read The Book of Mormon in each language. I've already done it in Spanish (back in high school), but haven't gotten far in the German. I need to work on speaking skills as well, but I can't say something that's not in my head, right? I'm already very familiar with the text in English, and it's something simple I can stick to until it becomes more of a habit.

Also, as much as I despair to admit it, I might need to add "Learn French language" to my list of goals. My husband speaks it, and it just seems like a good academic language to be familiar with. At the very least, I ought to learn how to pronounce the words... I just don't want to sound like an ignoramus when I'm being quizzed on a common language I'm not familiar with.

No comments:

Post a Comment