Monday, January 14, 2013

Family History: For The Win!

My brand new facebook status, only 2 minutes old:

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! I talked to my family history professor and identified which family I'll research for the semester, and I'm super pumped for learning how to be an effective genealogy researcher. And, better yet - she gave me some fantastic ideas for how I can still write about family history for my religious studies class!!! We're supposed to write a 30-page research paper, and she wants to read my finished product! SO COOL!!!!!

Her idea was to use some slightly-obscure-and-extremely-specific genealogical records as a case study to compare with the doctrinal shift in the LDS sealing work starting in the 1870's (shifting from the adoptive "Let's get sealed to the prophet, because we know he's going to heaven," to the familial, "Let's get sealed to our parents and unite humanity into one glorious family"). This sounds like it will give me a chance to connect learning my own family history with the academia of religious studies and satisfy both my fulfillment and my English professor's expectations for the semester. SWEET!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment