Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Night With the Opera

Sometime during the past week, my husband and I had a chill night at home and snuggled up to watch a DVD of Mozart's The Magic Flute. True to form, the opera was performed auf Deutsch, and the English subtitles were well done and unobtrusive. I've seen it once before in person, and apparently at the time, they added in a couple funny things that aren't in the standard production, so I missed those this time around. It was a great movie to watch with my husband because we both got our (little bit of) German refreshed, and there were lots of themes and ideas to mull over afterwards. The visual and acoustic art was a pleasure to observe as well. My husband is a great "active consumer;" I love how he doesn't passively absorb things, and rather thinks them over, evaluating them for truth, and pondering what they mean and how things fit together. He really tries to make everything he does a valuable part of his life.

In short, it was a good night and I feel just a little classier for it :)

*Speaking of class, I've been on both ends of the "classy dress" spectrum so far this semester. I want to be dressing nicer, so on those days I think I've looked pretty classy. Other days though are definitely on the t-shirt/sweatshirt end. The sweatshirt days, in my defense, were when the outside temperature was in the single digits, and occasionally had a "-" in front. I feel like I don't have many days in the middle of the road between t-shirts and pearl earrings.*

No comments:

Post a Comment