Monday, November 26, 2012

Video

This video came up in my newsfeed on facebook today, and I thought it was pertinent.


I think it's possible to listen to this video and interpret it through a YOLO (you only live once) perspective and go crazy abandoning all responsibilities in life. Most people probably don't adopt that philosophy to quite that extreme, but I think this still presents a powerful, powerful message. Perhaps instead of the comparison between a short, happy life and a long, miserable life, it should be between a poor but happy life versus a rich but miserable life.

When I was picking a major, I was indecisive between things I liked, but I was also concerned about doing something I could support myself with. It's one reason why I turned away from English and education degrees. While that is something to consider, how much money I'll make shouldn't be my biggest reason for pursuing something. Finding something that I'm happy doing will be worth it. Thanks for the words of advice, Alan Watts, whoever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment