Monday, November 19, 2012

Continuing Education?

This will be an important part in my reformation process, and I'm not sure how to approach it yet. Here are some thoughts.

My undergraduate degree will be in Speech Pathology. I don't think I realized when I got into the major that a Master's degree was a prerequisite to actually practicing in my field, but it's been increasingly emphasized the closer I've gotten to graduation. As I've not-so-subtly hinted, I haven't done stellarly where schoolwork is concerned, and honestly... the fact that I'm married now and don't have to support myself financially on my own doesn't increase my motivation to force myself through grad school when I really don't want to be there. My husband also pointed out that dropout rates for grad school aren't so good, so in my opinion, pursuing a master's degree in speech pathology right now (if I could even get accepted to a program) sounds like setting myself up for failure. To top it off, my professors have emphasized this semester that after I graduate from a master's program, I'll only be a "well-trained generalist." Again, not very encouraging.

So what are some other options in continuing my education? I visited a couple advisement offices on campuses and got information about some other paths besides speech therapy.

I looked at:
- Master's in Marriage, Family, Human Development
- Master's in Social Work
- Post-baccalaureate accreditation in Genealogy
- Post-baccalaureate accreditation in Elementary Education
- A second bachelor's in Genealogy at another university
- A second bachelor's in Elementary Education at another university

I don't think a master's degree is what I want right now because I'm still unsure of what I want to study. If I were to find something I am passionate enough about and can be qualified for, then sure, maybe I'll give it a go. I'm hesitant about another bachelor's degree as well because I'd probably have to repeat my general education requirements, and I don't know if I want to wait another four years before possibly being qualified for a job I want.

One idea that my husband and I have discussed is taking classes at our current university on a non-degree-seeking basis. We'll be here for at least another year, and I might even be able to work full-time concurrently if I'm just taking one evening class a semester. When I realized that my next semester would be my last, my priorities changed when it came to filling in my schedule, and I just don't have time to take even more electives than I've already taken. And as I'm looking at the workforce with a different perspective now, I'm seeing gaps in my education that I should try to fill in. Maybe I could take classes in accounting, communication, business, genealogy research, editing, or other areas that will strengthen my resume and give me skills that I'll need in the workplace. It'll still bear some thought, but that's probably my tentative plan for now.

1 comment:

  1. One thing I really like here is that the majors offered are pretty generic, so you're not committing to any particular field before grad school. And for a lot of grad programs, they don't really care what your bachelor was. You can also just take courses at a community college.
    If you can find another part-time job with more marketable skills that could be a good thing, too. As much as the food industry has helped pay your grocery bills, other jobs may help with more marketable skills for resumes-- customer service, cashier experience, etc.

    ReplyDelete