Monday, November 19, 2012

Today's Library Trip

My husband is well-equipped to advise me on scholastic and other matters, so he's been a great resource in helping me craft this improvement plan. We stopped by the library on our way home from campus at his suggestion and I picked out some books that we had talked about.

Today's selections are all from G.K. Chesterton, an amusing British author from the first part of the 20th century who one of my friends told me about. At her suggestion a couple years ago, I read from parts of a compilation of his writing and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I checked out:
- The Spirit of Christmas
- Chesterton's Stories, Essays, and Poems
- The Ball and the Cross
- The Collected Poems of G.K. Chesterton
- The Spice of Life
Apparently he was an extremely prolific writer, and I didn't look up these books beforehand, so I hope they turn out to be as entertaining as my first reading was.

Some ideas for the long-term ideal reading list:
- Shakespeare
- Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston
- J.D. Salinger
- The Great Divorce, C.S. Lewis
- Crime and Punishment
- Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
- 100 Years of Solitude (originally a book in Spanish, but I can't find the keyboard symbol to spell it correctly...), Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Don Quixote de la Mancha, Miguel de Cervantes
- Les Miserables, Victor Hugo
- Siddhartha
- David McCullough
- Things Fall Apart
- The Tortilla Curtain

I also read a novel called Edenbrooke, by Julianne Donaldson, this week and loved it. It's like Jane Austen's novels, but at a much more modern-reader-friendly pace. I felt like it was more than a fluffy romance though - I appreciated the character development and psychology of the narrator. There were some convenient plot turns towards the end, but I felt like it was a fairly genuine and definitely uplifting book. And after reading about the characters' love story, I felt more loving and appreciative towards my husband, which is probably a less-common phenomenon after wives watch sugary chick flicks. This book was a love story with more substance to it.

1 comment:

  1. Grandma Hafen had me read Edenbrooke over the summer-- I loved it.

    You should find "Real Enemies" by Kathryn S. Olmsted. It's a non-fiction that you won't be able to put down-- and you'll feel smart after reading it.

    ReplyDelete