Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Other Matters

I want this Renaissance project to be more than just an education or career thing; I think that becoming a Renaissance woman - theoretically a "master of all trades", like an educated Victorian gentleman or lady, or at least a well-rounded individual - will make me more marketable, but mostly a better person, and that's what gives this project its importance.

So what are some other areas I want to work on?

One thing I thought about yesterday was my people skills. I feel much less awkward and shy when I'm actually in a conversation, compared to how I used to be. But getting into those conversations is still a struggle sometimes. I don't say hi to people I see on campus much anymore, and that's bothering me. I cried for months when I thought about the friends I expected to show up to my bridal shower and wedding reception but who didn't, and I'm ashamed when I wonder how much of that was my fault for not being a better friend. I've been invited to a lot of weddings and bridal showers, and hardly attended any because I figured I wasn't that important to them, or I waited until it was too late to look for a ride. Now I see what an impact that had on me, and wonder if that's how others have felt because of my (in)actions. That's something I should work on now - making sure that people know I value them and that I'm not just a fair-weather friend.

Along with books, I'd like to find other forms of media that are enlightening, well-rounding, and will increase my knowledge of the world. What are some movies or plays or other forms of art that I can acquaint myself with to become more of a Renaissance person? I doubt that they would help me find a job, but they'll help me become a more appreciative, wise woman hopefully. My husband watches TEDtalks regularly, and I often enjoy those. I did a brief research paper about a year ago on Bollywood (Indian) film, and that was intellectually and artistically broadening. It was a good learning opportunity to watch some of the earliest Bollywood movies and see what themes have changed or remained constant over the last 50 years or so. My husband and I also watched some older classic movies when he was pursuing an honors degree, and we both saw a lot of merit in seeing movies like Casablanca. I've seen a few Miyazaki (Japanese) films with my roommates, like Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo, but I still feel largely unacquainted with Asian culture generally. With movies, I will add this caution though: I am very sensitive to film, especially when it depicts violence. I watched Braveheart with my husband while we were flying to or from our honeymoon; my hesitations about the rating were overcome by my husband's opinion that it promotes great values, so I watched most of it. I will agree that the depth of violence in it is instrumental in communicating the depth of important values, but it was too much for me emotionally. So, powerful, violent movies will likely be off my list, no matter how much they build humanity.

I've probably got a good base of quality music, but any specific song suggestions, especially if they are emblematic of a genre, would be welcome.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure I will continue musing for a long while.

No comments:

Post a Comment