Monday, February 18, 2013

Holidays and Week 6

So, week 6 actually went by pretty well! Grades aren't posted from Friday's midterm yet; I wasn't as confident on this one, but I took twice as much study time (a full hour), so we'll see... I think I did a pretty good job preparing for Saturday's midterm and got an 84% on it. I should be proud of this: I managed to start a couple days before the test and finish watching every single online lecture of the semester (all of which I had neglected so far). It's not a spectacular grade, but I had heard from my classmates that it was a hard test, so hopefully the teacher will be curving everyone's grades up. I felt good about most of the questions, but there were some I wasn't sure about. I'm doing a little better at keeping up in English - I can see that it's a class I need to work harder at, but that it's doable. I also got to class early a couple times and discovered that I'm not the only person who often comes to class late. Saturday was spent at one bridal shower, studying for and taking a midterm, and shopping for another bridal shower.

I'm becoming terrible at keeping up with holidays, birthdays, etc. I've already posted my reflections on invitations to things like weddings, showers, and parties, and how I want to improve my response to those invitations (still deciding how to respond to people I'm not super-close friends with who appear to have invited all of their facebook friends to these events, because I can't tell if I'm actually wanted). I used to really try to be thoughtful and give out good wishes for all my facebook-friends' birthdays, engagements, and other good news, but then it got overwhelming and now I feel like I'm just jumping on the bandwagon with well-wishing. I do think well of people, and it's nice to be reminded of them when facebook tells me about their latest good news, but it feels cliche and less genuine to say what everyone else is saying, especially when they weren't on my mind before facebook told me. The same thing has been slowly generalized to holidays over the years. Even if I do hope that someone has a good Christmas day, I also hope that they have a good pre- and post-Christmas day; it seems trite and superficial to call, text, or otherwise broadcast to my friends that I hope that one particular day is good while not wishing the same of the other days. It feels that way even if it's my sister's or best friend's birthday... And being so far away, I feel like I can't do anything to contribute to her day either; I can't make a difference in her day to make it better, only offer the same words as everyone else. Being shy also makes it easy to just not say anything and keep my good wishes for others in my heart, between me and God. I should probably change these feelings, but I'm not sure what the right answer is.

I do kinda like what my husband and I did for Valentine's Day. I tried to do a "14 days of Valentines" for him with mixed success; I didn't do something each day, but the fact that I was trying was really good for him. And it spread out the extra love throughout the month instead of, "Oh, it's 14 February - let's act like we love each other more than usual." I helped my brother make valentines earlier in the week and had fun trying to make a couple "Valentine" outfits (trickier done than said - I don't usually wear pink or red). On the illustrious V-Day itself, my hubby and I made stir fry for dinner, made some red velvet cookies, and snuggled up for a movie (I know my husband loves me because: he watched Jane Austen's Emma with me without complaining). It was a nice day to relax and take some extra time doing fun things together. We try to do date nights every week or so already, so this was a slightly extended and pre-planned version of the usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment