Saturday, December 1, 2012

Improvement

I think I've said it before, but I'll give a recap: being disappointed about attendance at my bridal shower and reception led me to think about all the times I've been invited to parties or events and didn't go because I procrastinated finding a ride, or I didn't think my presence would make a difference. I wondered if maybe I was missed after all, because I missed friends who didn't come. So part of my social improvement goals has been to get better at getting out of my box, honoring people's invitations, and making the effort to be there.

I did it last night! One of my less-close friends had her fourth annual ugly sweater party last night, and I've probably been invited every year, but never went because I didn't have an ugly sweater and I figured I wouldn't know many people. This year my friend is graduating though, so it was really important to me, at least, to just show up and say hi. And I did it! I didn't stay long because I had to get up for work at 5:30 this morning, but I overcame my usual hesitations and went. Even though I'm not super good friends with this girl, we've lived in the same area for the last few years and she's always been cheerful and super friendly; she seemed glad to see me last night, and that was reassuring.

Work was also really good this morning. I'm a shift supervisor, and we worked out some organizational kinks early in the day, and people were happy, cooperative, and worked hard. It was just a pleasant experience and made me glad for the great people I work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment