Monday, December 3, 2012

Freedom Yet?

I'm getting excited for my future as I enact the plans I'm forming here, but for now, finals week is coming... And once again, I'm not doing so hot. I can't wait until I'm free of my undergraduate program constraints (seriously - all the classes for my major are required, and there are no options) so I can take what I want without worrying about grades. Part of me is tempted to try switching to a general studies major like one of my friends who got married and moved across the big pond (the Atlantic) because our major isn't offered online, and online is all she can do anymore. If that would even work, I would feel like I cheated myself. Even though I'm not planning on following my major's professional career path, a bachelor's degree in communication disorders probably sounds better than a bachelor's in general studies. And I just have one semester left with 2 major classes. I can survive that, right?

I can maybe foresee a potential problem next semester though. Of the classes I'm taking, the major classes are the least important to me... and because my other classes will be time-consuming, I'm guessing I'll probably start out with good intentions but abandon my less-fun classes for the meaningful ones... I don't know how I'll pull out of this, but I've only got 4-5 months left until graduation. I can't wait to escape the undergraduate pressure. I just wish I could escape my own habits, too.


***If I haven't written it yet, my husband pointed out that in addition to the religion department, the History department offers regional family history classes; more than are available per semester through the former. So that's another option for classes to take. Maybe I can study English or History or Languages...

***Also, on another unrelated note, I really abhor violence in movies. Maybe I'm immature and should have finished the movie, but I stopped watching West Side Story a half hour before it ended because the characters were being incredibly stupid with their teenage gangs and bravado. I quit during the song about "Keep It Cool, Boy," where they were trying to control their anger and bloodlust for revenge after the gang leaders murdered each other in a fight. I didn't want to watch more teenagers being stupid (sometimes I have a low "stupid tolerance" in movies as well) or more people getting hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment